Saturday, March 1, 2008

The God that I know


Recently, someone who doesn't know God, asked me to tell him about the God that I know. How does one fit a 28 year relationship into a discussion board thread or a blog post? I must admit that it proved to be a challenge but it was certainly a delightful one. Here is an excerpt of what I eventually wrote but if I know me, I'll add more to it!

My relationship with God doesn't involve rules of do and don't. It's a friendship. He speaks to me and we talk. We do things together and laugh. We share secrets and He holds me when I cry. He is the perfect friend. But He's also a very powerful friend and He has changed me, too. I feel Him inside me and around me and I can see Him working in my life and I see Him in others as well . So, with all that in perspective, I also look to Him as Lord.

Those of you who have read my history, know that I was once a drug dealer and a thief who was filled with all kinds of destructive thoughts and outward harm toward others. I was addicted to illegal drugs, alcohol and promiscuous sex, but He delivered me from all these things in a twinkling of an eye! I was then filled with love, light and joy! (A great exchange if you ask me!) Everything then looked brighter and my heart sang with hope! He then He began to talk to me and we've been talking ever since. It's been an incredible 28 year friendship where He lives in and through me! Me!? Whew! Amazing!

God is also very nurturing toward me- the only nurturing I can remember, so in that sense I hold Him respectfully, lovingly and with honor as a parent. I ask a lot from Him without ever having to worry about over burdening Him. He's supernatural, so He never runs out of strength, energy or power! As I grow older, He asks a lot from me, too. But it's never a burden because I'm kind of like Him- when He lives through me. I still have an earthly body, but with Him living through, I can do seemingly impossible things!

His love toward me is something I feel even more powerfully than the love other people show toward me. His love is more real to me than anything! He is my reason for living. He is my all in all. I don't need anything or anyone else.

This is my God.

This is the God that I know and I want each and everyone of you to know Him, too!

No comments: