Monday, May 7, 2007

The High Places


Through out the years as I would read in the Old Testament about the forbidden high places, I would seek the Lord for their meaning. I would ask, "What are they a type of Lord?" I had thought of several different possibilities but I never felt like I saw what the Lord had for me.

When the Lord (once again) led us away from organized religion, the Holy Spirit spoke to me and led me to look at the high places again. This is what rapidly unfolded upon my mind:
What are the high places a type of?

Is it:
Not worshiping God in spirit and in truth but rather at another altar? The altar of man-made religion? A strange mixture of spirit and error rather than spirit and truth? Is it a compromise that leaves one's senses dull to what is so painfully obvious to God, just like the high places were so clearly wrong yet visited by God’s people and the heathen?

Is it worshipping God in a way that is different than what He directs, copying the heathen and taking cues from the world of darkness and worshipping with strange incense and unlawful sacrifices. Is it taking what the world loves to do and trying to make it work for us?

The high places look so religious and acceptable but the casual observer sees nothing wrong with them at all. Oh Lord, raise up Josiahs and Hezekiahs in our day who will tear down the high places - and may they never be built up again.

No comments: